How To: Flawless Skin
I like to think of my bright lipsticks, dramatic liner and eye-catching shadows as my style accessories. And my Little Black Dress? Flawless skin. Unfortunately, obtaining it is easier said than done, but after nearly a decade of oily, acne-ridden skin and about a million products, I think I may have found the secret recipe. It’s all about a combination of prevention and covering up with products that won’t make the problem worse. And though this regimen won’t work for everyone, I tend to think that if it works for me, it can work for almost anyone.
Step 1: Prevention
1. Wash your face with an oil cleanser twice daily. Yup, oil. It’ll sooth dry skin, of course, but also help prevent acne. This is because when the skin is dry, it overcompensates by producing more oil than necessary. Using an oil wash will bring your skin back to its equilibrium. I’m a fan of DHC Deep Cleansing Oil.
3. Morning: finish with an SPF 30+ sunscreen, but make sure it’s oil-free. I’m obsessed with Eucerin Daily Protection Moisturizing Face Lotion.
Night: It’s never too early to start thinking about anti-aging. I love moisturizing, anti-aging serums like Clinique Repairwear Laser Focus Wrinkle & UV Damage Corrector.
Step 2: Covering Up
1. Apply a liquid foundation in your shade, starting from the T-zone and blending outward with a Beauty Blender sponge. Try Revlon PhotoReady Foundation, and find your shade by matching it to your jawline rather than the back of your hand.
2. Pat concealer under the eyes and on any blemishes. Almay Smart Shade CC Concealer and Brightener does double duty.
3. Finish by brushing a sheer layer of bareMinerals Matte Foundation over the T-zone, and spot-pat it onto blemishes to fully cover up.
4. Add blush, bronzer and/or highlighter of your choice to accent your flawless skin. I prefer cream or mousse formulas for a more natural look.